Initial research/investigation of the problem/situation under planning
- current market
- existing products or solutions
- user research, literature search, etc
- secondary/primary (must be balanced).
- qualitative/quantitative (must be balanced).
- method of collection.
- use variety of strategies (not just an internet search).
- User research, user trial, literature search, expert appraisal, performance test, tests & experiments,
- identify key research aspects, eg materials/finishes, manufacture, safety, costs, ergonomics, current market, existing products, users, aesthetics, etc
- use Pughs' plates or an exemplar project as a guide.
- Reasoning behind the selection of the key research aspects.
- priorities made clear.
- table format for organisation can be useful.
- include analysis of the data.
- use arrows an text-boxes to explain the data.
Present data well
- use, tables, graphics with text or photographs.
Summarise data including analysis.